Thursday, December 2, 2010

Random Things

You people are wonderful. Because you are so wonderful and apparently don't loathe the prospect, I shall happily update this blog regularly. Hit a rough patch in Chapter 28, but I think I have it ironed out.... eh, ignore my mixed metaphors. 

ANYWAYS, there is one tiny thing. That quote that I gave yesterday? It's Remus.

Which will make a lot more sense in the context of the conversation. Out of context, it definitely sounds more Sirius-ish. At any rate, here's one of Sirius's contributions to that conversation:

"What happened to 'the quaffle and the snitch?!'"
What indeed, Sirius?

Also, as some of you all know, I am obsessed with music. So, here's something that entertained me more than it will probably interest anyone else. LIFE AND TIMES MUSIC! Lol, not really, but just music that goes with every chapter, either because it actually fits (lyrically? thematically? rhythmically? idk) or because I say so.

Chapter 1 (Prologue)- "Laughing With" - Regina Spektor (of course)
Chapter 2- Good Girls Say I Love You- "Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan),
Chapter 3- To Start a Year- "Three Little Birds" (Bob Marley), "Salt in the Wound" (Delta Spirit)
Chapter 4- Snaps and the Second Week- "When the Devil's Loose" (A.A. Bondy), "16 Military Wives" (The Decemberists)
Chapter 5- The Shape of Things to Come- "Revolution" (The Beatles), "Rebellion (Lies)" (Arcade Fire)
Chapter 6- Conversations- "Letters from the Sky" (Civil Twilight)
Chapter 7- Failures of Courage- "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" (The Platters), "Electric Twist" (A Fine Frenzy)
Chapter 8- Dates with Ravenclaws- "Cheated Hearts" (The Yeah Yeah Yeahs), "The Shape of My Heart" (Noah and the Whale)
Chapter 9- The Art of Walking- "The Step & the Walk" (Duke Spirit)
Chapter 10- The Connection- "With a Little Help From My Friends" (The Beatles), "The Shape of Things to Come" (Bear McCreary)
Chapter 11- The Trouble with Angels- "You Can't Hurry Love" (Diana Ross)
Chapter 12- Merrily, Merrily, Merrily- "Come Together" (The Beatles), "Sing" (Travis), "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Judy Garland)
Chapter 13- Something Realized- "A Woman Left Lonely" (Janis Joplin)
Chapter 14- Two Steps Forward- "Everybody Loves Me" (OneRepublic--hey, don't mock me. This is the James chapter, and this is one of my James songs =P), "Just Like Me" and "What I'm Looking For" (Brendan Benson), "Steady as She Goes" (The Raconteurs) [James has a lot of songs, obviously]
Chapter 15- What Snape Did- "Creep" (Radiohead: okay, this is an easy Snape song, but I can't help myself. The lyrics exude Snape-itude. "Karma Police" also works).
Chapter 16- Anatomy of a Red Rose- "Sea of Love" (Phil Phillips)
Chapter 17- The Harpers- "Wake Up Little Susie" (the Everly Brothers), "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" (Pink Floyd)
Chapter 18- March- "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (Rolling Stones), "I Want You Back" (Jackson 5--my ultimate Frank/Alice song)
Chapter 19- The Quaffle and the Snitch- "Show Me What I'm Looking For" (Carolina Liar), "West Coast" (Coconut Records), "Oh No!" (Marina and the Diamonds... unquestionably Donna's theme song)
Chapter 20- Moments- "Gotta Figure This Out" and "Love Save the Empty" (Erin McCarley), "Pursuit of Happiness" (Kid Cudi--or, if that's not your style, Lissie's fabulous cover)
Chapter 21- Life is But a Dream- "Polite Dance Song" (The Bird and the Bee), "Brain Stew" (Green Day)
Chapter 22- Out- "Die Die Die" and "Paranoia in Bb Major" (The Avett Brothers), "Comes and Goes (in Waves)" (Greg Laswell), "His Master's Voice" (Monsters of Folk)
Chapter 23- To End a Year- "Wake Up" (Arcade Fire), "Wells" (The Expendables)
Chapter 24- Contra Mundum- "Summer in the City" (The Lovin' Spoonful), "Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise" (The Avett Brothers), "Gospel" (The National)
Chapter 25- The Week of the Demands- "The Funeral" (Band of Horses), "Hey Jude" (The Beatles), "Little Lion Man" (Mumford & Sons)
Chapter 26- The Wedding- "Rhapsody in Blue" (George Gershwin), "Say It's Possible" (Terra Naomi), "Your Song" (Elton John), "The Way You Look Tonight" (particularly the Fred Astaire version, although Frank Sinatra works, too) "Something in the Water" (The Jealous Girlfriends)
Chapter 27- Land of Dreams- "Polite Dance Song" (The Bird and the Bee... Again, yes, if for nothing else than the opening scene =P), "The Traitor" (Sea Wolf), "Portions For Foxes" (Rilo Kiley), "Junebug" (Robert Francis), "White Sky" (Vampire Weekend)
Chapter 28- Phoenix- "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" and "Peace Train" (Cat Stevens), "Stand by Me" (John Lennon), "We Used to Be Friends" (The Dandy Warhols)

ANYWAYS, I'm going to write a little more before turning in. Much love to you all =)

18 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I told Lindsay today on Tumblr that it would be hilarious if it was Remus! In our defense, it sounded like something Sirius would say... Oh and speaking of Sirius, he brings up a really good point. That Quaffle and Snitch quote is my favorite and I was actually considering the same thing...

    PS. You have an excellent taste in music! Me gusta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha you beat me bree!!! Oh well. I can't believe it is Remus. It just doesn't sound like him out of context. Sigh, I'll just have to wait to see it in context!!!

    You gots some good taste in music too btw

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I wrote for the last entry? Disregard it. Most of it. Some of it. The Sirius part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to ask... is James and Carlotta's relationship going to last like Luke and Lily's or will they break up soon enough? :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm definitely going to have to check some of these songs out!

    In response to annonymous above me, well...

    Here is my theory: Lily and Luke lasted quite a while, pretty close to a year if I'm thinking correctly. The latest chapter took place from early-mid August. Lily and James are supposed to kiss sometime in 1976, so, at the very latest, they'll have to kiss on December 31st. So there is a 4.5-ish month window.

    Hopefully James and Carlotta will break before then. Though, I'm have a feeling it will be a little while after that =/

    Anyways, I'm glad to hear the next chapter is coming along! I can't wait to read it!

    - Star.Shinee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, whoops (bout the Sirius thing). However, it's almost more funny that it's Remus, because he always seems so chill about stuff...of course L/J is something he would get worked up about ;)

    And Sirius's quote is totes an acceptable alternative (I'd completely forgotten the Quaffle and Snitch bit! Wow, good thing I'm re-reading the story right now...)

    I love that you have music for each chapter--I always like seeing what you come up with. Confession: I often find myself relating songs to HP--probs just because I have waaaaaay too much space in my brain devoted to JKR's series! Anyway, I've actually made "soundtracks" to all the HP books. I know, SUPER DORK MOMENT ALERT. But it was fun, though they're mostly funny little connections between the songs and moments in the books that only my twisted mind would get ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will James/Carlotta last as long as Luke/Lily?

    Nope. And, if I were a gambling... er... woman, I would say that Lily isn't the type to kiss a boy who has a girlfriend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jules Well you would know, but yeah I think that would go completely against her character. But it will be interesting how long J/C lasts while James is Head Boy with Lily, and she likes him now. Sooo even if they don't kiss he kinda has to know somehow that cogs in her brain are turning. Ahhh I just can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ehh I say 6-8 weeks from the start of school. Carlotta won't give up that easily and James really wants to pretend like he is over Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope James doesn't respond: "But I'm a chaser, I'm m eant to go after the quaffle and not the snitch..." :D

    -Anxiously Waiting.

    I love Sirius. I think he's the voice behind reason...sometimes :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This mix was playing through my head while I was reading :-)) I've had My Heart Will Go On by the OtherWhinyCanadianOne ((I can say that, I'm a Canuck)) since last night's Titanic marathon, but now I've got Cat Power's version of Sea of Love.
    THANK YOU!
    Excited to see how Cat Stevens will work for the next chapter :-))
    It actually make sense for Remus, although I laughed hysterically when I read that, because I don't think Sirius would be bothered about the smoking, though I KNOW Remus hated it :-))
    Can't wait for the James-tells-about-the-gf scene. Should be hilarious.
    Have a great Saturday! I wish a million barrels of mint ice cream to you!
    -CharlieSchulz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, AND- As Lovers Go by Dashboard Confessional is Lily and James to a tee.

    ..have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anxiously Waiting Anonymous
    *****COUGHCOUGHCOUGH**********

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha is that what he says?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. *GASP* I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING (thanks to the amazing scene with Reg and James from Chapter 19):

    '...it's like my dear old mum always says: 'don't chase the quaffle if you see the snitch.'"

    Reg frowned. "But that doesn't make sense."

    "Sure it does."

    "But... a chaser chases the quaffle. A seeker chases the snitch... they're two different positions... a chaser isn't even allowed to catch the snitch. He'd be disqualified!"

    James opened his mouth to explain but decided against it. "That's true, Cat. Very true. I'll have to tell mum next time I see her."'

    ...James thinks he's a chaser trying to catch the snitch, doesn't he? That's TOTALLY how he's going to respond to Sirius's comment! Poor guy... Hopefully he'll see sense.
    That being said, if there's no Carlotta in Chapters 28 OR 29, however would James break it off with her? Does that mean I have to assume that they'll be together at least until Chapter 30? WAAAAA :(
    Long ramble. I apologize.
    --Bug

    ReplyDelete