Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday

First of all, Tumblr is STILL down, and I am most unhappy. What, exactly, am I supposed to do without "The Frenemy?!" Oh, yeah, write TLAT.

Second of all: I'm so proud of my little brother! Though my efforts to force him to read the HP books before he saw the movies were fruitless (to be fair, he was like four when SS came out in theaters), he is now, finally, reading them. He just returned my copy of PoA, so I quizzed him on the differences between the book and the movie, just to make sure, before I lent him GoF. I'm such a good older sister.

Third of all--ETA on the next chapter? Erm.... I'm not sure. I'll update this blog again tonight, when I know how much writing I've gotten done this afternoon.

Fourth of all--LOOK WHAT I FOUND! Copy-and-pasted on one of my giant stock files, I found a "deleted scene," if you will, from Chapter 23 ("To End a Year"--the last one at Hogwarts that included a bunch of flashbacks to previous years). It's nothing too exciting, though... just a Frank/Alice flashback that got deleted, because that chapter was already almost 25,000 words long, and it didn't really add anything. Anyway, here it is:

“Griffiths, Alice,” called Professor McGonagall, and a tiny witch with curly blond hair stumbled forward. She nearly tripped twice on her way up to the Sorting Hat, and when she sat down, she could be seen blushing before most of her face disappeared under the rim of the hat.

Eleven-year-old Frank Longbottom had never been so relieved in his life. “Griffiths, Alice” had single-handedly given him hope. So far, every student to be sorted had looked calm or excited—at worst, a tad nervous, but mostly under control. None of the six first years that had been sorted prior to Griffiths, Alice had conveyed half of the anxiety that Frank felt.

But now, with the Sorting Hat down to her nose, Griffiths, Alice positively trembled. She continued to tremble, right up until the moment that the Hat shouted: “Gryffindor!”

And then she calmed down right away. She was beaming when she replaced the hat on the stool and rose, practically skipping to Gryffindor table. And, once again, Frank was hopeful. If Griffiths, Alice could be that frightened of the Sorting and still make Gryffindor, might not he be so lucky? And, a few minutes later, when “Longbottom, Francis,” was called forward, he was that lucky.

He sat down at Gryffindor table right beside the curly-haired blond.

“I’m so glad I made it here,” she whispered, while “Pritchard, Joseph” became a Ravenclaw. “Seems the best to me, by far. My older brother is a Hufflepuff, but I wanted Gryffindor.”

“My cousin is a Hufflepuff fourth year,” replied Frank. “And my mum was a Ravenclaw. But my dad was a Gryffindor.” Here, he beamed.

Griffiths, Alice held out her hand. “I’m Ally,” she said.

“Frank.”

They shook hands. “It’s very nice to meet you.” Griffiths, Alice looked around on the table at the empty plates. “Now, how long d’you reckon before we get to eat?”

And, strange as it may seem, that was the moment that Frank Longbottom fell in love for the first (and last) time.

Like I said--I'll post again tonight with more info on update time for Chapter 28. Much love!

Cheers,
Jules

15 comments:

  1. Awww, thanks for sharing the lovely Frank/Alice scene! I'm glad you found it.
    By the way, in my current re-read-through of LAT (heh... I think this is number 3?) I found a discontinuity. In Chapter 18, you mention that Cassidy's last name is Gilmartin. In the next chapters, her name is Cassidy Gamp. That's the only time you say Gilmartin, I think. Just thought I should letcha know. :D

    I'm terribly excited for Chapter 28! I'll check back later tonight. Happy writing!
    --Bug

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I am not constantly refreshing Tumblr in hopes that it's working once more. No, not me. What ever gave you that idea?

    Congratulations on getting your little brother to read the books! I got my ten year-old brother to read them as well and I felt so proud that he loved them as much as I did when I was his age. I feel like my biggest fear when I become a parent will be that my kids will not like HP. It would break my heart.

    And thank you for that lovely deleted scene! I love F/A almost as much as I love L/J.

    All my best,
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Frank, you are freakin' adorable! Love.

    Also, your comment about The Frenemy made me wonder what it was (I'm basically a blog virgin, don't hate, and still don't really know what Tumblr is....wow, that makes me sound about 80 years old, huh?) Anyway, point is, I looked it up....OH My God. Probably the best thing ever! I laughed SOOOOO HARD at the three entries I read, and totally want to meet this girl! So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey, Tumblr looks so boring on the outside but it's like Narnia, Hogwarts, and Disneyland on the inside. And it's addictive so use with caution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey so funny story my roommate just started reading the series for the first time last week. She is a big fan of the movies and even went to the theme park the second week it opened but never read the books! She had some interesting comments on the differences but from the opposite perspective that we've seen it. (She is in the middle of book 2)

    -Dumbledore is a lot more of a goober in the book. The movies portray him as this old omniscient headmaster who ruled with a strong hand and was occasionally goofy.
    -Same with Hagrid about the goofiness, she thought he was scarier in the movies.
    -Draco seems more cowardly in the books (now I really want her to watch AVPM)and not as much of a bad ass
    -Hermione is a lot more bitchy. than the movies
    -Neville has a bigger role
    -Harry is a jerk to Hermione, she thinks they pushed the fast forward button on their friendship in the movies
    -the characters seem uglier than the actors that portray them
    -In the fisrt book the Gryfindors are total underdogs not the 'most awesome house' that is portrayed as in the movies. JK really did do a good job showing that the houses were not just the good guys, the bad guys, the smart ones, and the other people.

    Tumblr hates me. I wanna cry a little bit now.

    I love the Frank/Alice deleted scene. And await your next update hopefully announcing when you will update the most epic story since DH :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay,

    1. Tumblr is back!

    2. Those are interesting difference, especially the one about Dumbledore.

    3. The one about the actors might be true for Hermione because Emma is stunning. But even though I think Dan is kind of cute, I think Harry is a lot more good-looking in the books. I mean, look at who his parents are! (This reminds me of Dumbledore telling Harry in AVPS, "Didn't you grow up into a sexy little bitch like your father?" LOL). Also, doesn't Harry seem way kinder in the books?

    4. You mentioned AVPM. Now I HAVE to go watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. not for me... they are releasing dashboards in waves....

    I can defiantly see what she is talking about with Emma, me and my friends always were like "her hair is supposed to be HUGE and awful, why is it so pretty!"

    Oh AVPM how I have stalked all of your related youtube videos and cast member's twitter since tumblr went down. I watched about 5 hours worth of interviews/behind the scene stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shit, guys, now I am almost ethically obliged to rewatch AVPM. Must... resist.... the temptation.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't fight it, Jules. If it's going to get in the way of writing, then just play it in the background. Or play the music, I do that all the time.

    Lindsay, it's still not working for you? I think it should be back for everyone by now. I think...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It just started like 5 minutes ago for me. but I can't post yet... idk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It lets you see it but not do anything? Tumblr, you tease.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that little excerpt. I am so excited to have a point to look forward to for this chapter. I am a tumblr user as well and it still won't let me on my dash. Just on people's actual blogs. It's very distressing.
    -Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saskia, it lets me go on my dash for a few minutes, then it crashes again :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to call attention to the fact that is only the 6th day in December and you already have the same amount of posts as you do for the two previous months. Way to go Jules :)

    ReplyDelete