Monday, February 14, 2011

Not a real holiday????

Well, even if ^that is your belief, I hope you have a happy Valentine's Day, because it's a real day at any rate, if not a real holiday, and I like people to have happy days.

Personally, I have no issue with Valentine's Day. If you're in a relationship or have a reliable FWB (not that I am encouraging such arrangements, because they tend to go south and not turn out at all like "No Strings Attached"), celebrate it. But I don't think single people should feel threatened by the day. I'm not, and that's partially because we're rewarded with International Get Drunk Day St. Patrick's Day just a month later. 

Also, in my experience, people with good romantic relationships don't make a huge deal out of Valentine's Day. They'll buy a card or flowers or candy or they'll go out to eat, but for the most part, they ain't bothered. If some non-single person tries to make you (if you're single) feel like crap for not having a "special someone" in your life on February 14th, ask their friends what feature that person is most insecure about and taunt them about it... remind them of the divorce statistics and sarcastically note that you hope they are the exception, not the rule... throw a cupcake at their face, don't do any of those things, and remind yourself and them that you a fucking snowflake and being single doesn't suck nearly as much as it does in Katherine Heigl movies... or at all. If you need proof, go read The Frenemy, because, while I feel she is a little overly negative against relationship-y people from time to time, that blog will remind you of a thousand reasons why not having a boyfriend (girlfriend?) really isn't a big deal at all.

IDK. If you DO hate the holiday though, I suggest you make up a tradition that you can carry out with your friends... buy a cupcake together and make (good hearted) fun of that really obnoxious couple that thinks they are SO gonna last forever, even though everyone knows they're gonna break up in like two weeks. Even non-organic, made-up holidays are good if they remind you to make fun of people celebrate the people you love in your life. With cupcakes.


Yes, that is bacon on that cupcake. Apparently, it's a French Toast cupcake with bacon. Epic or awful? I don't really know.

I'm not updating today, but I have a few excerpts.

Part I
James got to his feet. “What happened?”

His girlfriend merely sighed, though it was comforting, at least, to know that someone in Gryffindor tower had not heard all of that. She patted the space on the bed beside her. “Sit down? I have something to tell you...”
Part II
To be in love, even superficially, on the first day of school is a wonderful thing indeed.
Part III
“...There’s your food. Enjoy it. I’m off.”
 “Off where?” asked Lily.
 “To sit with Bridget.”
 “Bridget doesn’t want you to sit with her,” Lily advised.
 “How could you possibly know that?”
 “How could you possibly not know that?” 


Part IV
“You weren’t ready,” said Lily. “It’s not your fault.”

“It is though. I was so stupid...”

“No, you weren’t. You were just getting out of one really complicated, really intense relationship, and you weren't ready to jump into another one. That’s not your fault. None of this is your fault.”

“But it’s not his fault either...”

“No,” Lily agreed, and something in her tone changed. “No, he had every right to move on, too.”
Part V
It made a strange kind of sense, and Lily wondered why she had never thought of it before. Then again, she had never really connected James with anyone in her mind before. He had dated that weird Sarah girl back in fifth year for a while, and there had been a slew of others linked to him (either by reality or rumor), but—and perhaps it was because it was Carlotta—this new relationship seemed so much more real to Lily.
 No, Lily had never thought of James really with anyone before, but she could not deny that Carlotta made sense.
<3 <3
Happy Monday!
Love,
Jules 

33 comments:

  1. I'm not reading those excerpts Jules. No matter how much you pretty the page up with FUCKING CUPCAKES, I will not spoil anything for myself.

    (I'm on a diet, btw. It's why I'm not pleased with the cakes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, best V-day present ever!! haha

    And I love cupcakes--now you've really made me want some....though I don't think I'm ambitious enough to try the bacon one. Funfetti all the way for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. best valentine's gift ever!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I won't spoil anything for myself either!
    Lol, JK.
    I wish.
    But that first one has to be about Shelley! Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh jeezy-wheezy, make my heart stutter why don't you? I don't really need this after watching Freaks&Geeks aka JAMESFRANCO, but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg and young jason segal and seth rogan and Sweets from "Bones!" I love Freaks&Geeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. also chutney from "Legally Blonde." I should not know these things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, that makes me think:
    Part I: Carlotta
    Part II: Mary
    Part III: Donna
    Part IV: Marlene
    Part V: Lily

    Why does it feel like these excerpts are a guilty pleasure?

    -Nora

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO. LILY IS WRONG. JAMES DOESN'T MAKE SENSE WITH ANYONE BUT LILY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I

    “Oh, my Merlin, I want to have a torrid love affair with this moment,” Marlene continued, regaining a little control. “I want to buy this moment dinner. I want to have this moment’s illegitimate children. I want to...”

    “Marlene, it’s not funny.”

    “Oh, I beg to differ,” chuckled Marlene. “I mean... did you honestly expect sympathy? From me? Agrippa, it is brilliant!”

    “This is completely different from Miles...” said Carlotta impatiently.

    “Yes, dear, it is,” replied the other. “This is so, so, so much better.”



    “I don’t eat meat.”

    “I remember."

    “But I won’t glare at you if you do eat it.”

    “And I do.”

    “I don’t like lies.”

    “Duly noted.”

    “I don’t intend on telling any, and you’d better not either.”

    “But what if you don’t catch me?”

    “Is that a joke?”

    "Yes.”

    “Warn me next time.”



    James got to his feet. “What happened?”

    His girlfriend merely sighed, though it was comforting, at least, to know that someone in Gryffindor tower had not heard all of that. She patted the space on the bed beside her. “Sit down? I have something to tell you...”

    II

    To be in love, even superficially, on the first day of school is a wonderful thing indeed.

    There is no way that whoring bitch is sleeping in here tonight.

    The thing that you don’t understand about me is that, naturally, I’m not a nice person. I am one of those mean, popular bitches, who wants nothing more than to mock the girls who bite their nails and chew on their hair. Usually, I hold all of that in, because Lily makes me feel bad about it. But for you, I’m going to make an exception, clear? My advice to you is stay out of my line of vision, because—y’know... out of sight, out of mind, and... you do not want to be on my mind.

    III

    Well that’s funny, because, actually, I spent the summer working in a pub to support my brothers and sister, read all four volumes of Waffling’s Magical Theory, finished the books on the list for next term, completed my homework before August, helped MacDonald with hers, and ordered around a well-respected Auror. And, I’m sorry, you got a tan, did you say?


    “...There’s your food. Enjoy it. I’m off.”
    “Off where?” asked Lily.
    “To sit with Bridget.”
    “Bridget doesn’t want you to sit with her,” Lily advised.
    “How could you possibly know that?”
    “How could you possibly not know that?”


    A protective Donna,” mused Marlene. “This should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IV

    “You weren’t ready,” said Lily. “It’s not your fault.”

    “It is though. I was so stupid...”

    “No, you weren’t. You were just getting out of one really complicated, really intense relationship, and you weren't ready to jump into another one. That’s not your fault. None of this is your fault.”

    “But it’s not his fault either...”

    “No,” Lily agreed, and something in her tone changed. “No, he had every right to move on, too.”

    V
    And, oh my Merlin, don’t even get started on Stebbins!


    “Oi! That’s right! I get my own room!”

    “Did you forget?”

    “It hadn’t occurred to me. Will it just appear at the top of the stair, like it did for Frank?”

    Lily nodded. “And there will be one on the girls’ end of the tower, too.”

    “Do we get our own Common Room?”

    “What?”

    “Our own Common Room.”

    Lily frowned. “No. Where on earth did you get that idea?”

    “I don’t know,” admitted James. “I feel like I read it somewhere.”


    The entire room had lit up upon her entrance, and yet none of these details had any effect upon Lily. She barely saw them, for suddenly her eyes were blurred by tears.

    Her breathing grew heavy and staggered. She fell back against the closed door and pushed her hair away from her face, forcibly attempting to fend off the attack of panic that quickened her heart and made her head spin.
    No good at all.


    “At the risk of sounding like a complete girl,” began the Head Boy, “are you angry with me?”


    I’m not practically engaged, Evans.


    You’re kind of self-righteous,” said Carlotta.

    Lily sighed. “Kind of? As in, it’s kind of my defining characteristic?


    It made a strange kind of sense, and Lily wondered why she had never thought of it before. Then again, she had never really connected James with anyone in her mind before. He had dated that weird Sarah girl back in fifth year for a while, and there had been a slew of others linked to him (either by reality or rumor), but—and perhaps it was because it was Carlotta—this new relationship seemed so much more real to Lily.

    No, Lily had never thought of James really with anyone before, but she could not deny that Carlotta made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny, I was just saying that if I see one more cupcake today, I will throw up (I've had six), and then I see this. Thanks. Haha.

    BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THE EBONY IS BELLA THING. I am so upset. Like, really. That post was the most hilarious/true thing ever. I literally laughed out loud most of the way through. And I agree with you SO MUCH. I never really thought about it, but as soon as I saw the title I thought "OMGYES" (<<prep statement? uuhf khorse iit iz!1!). Man, Stephanie Meyer just needs to stop existing pronto.

    As for the excerpts--LOVE LOVE LOVE. The last one was definitely my favorite, regardless of the fact that I agree with Anon@4:00 completely. I don't know, it's just so cool to see that kind of relationship from Lily's point of view. I like the fact that she was not seething with jealously right off the bat. It's almost like even though she knows that she has some sort of feelings for James, she also knows that they both are still in a place where they are not ready to be together. James is still in the "Carlotta Period" of his life, and he has a bit more growing up to do before he reaches the "Lily Period/Epic/Always&Forever."

    Also, JulesLoveQuota Time--I LOVE YOU JULES!! <3 I hope your Valentine's Day is just filled with joy and cupcakes, single or not. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to anonymous for compiling all of our excerpts! I am without a doubt most excited, I think, to read Parts I and V. Also, Jules, I had the most horrid day, and I was so incredibly relieved to see an update here. Relieved is a strange verb, yet the most accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the new excerpts.

    i had a non-v-day-related shitty day too. actually, most mondays/tuesdays are shitty.
    not having class on fridays + community/theoffice/parksandrec/greys/outsourced/30rock constantly makes me wish it were thrusday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. agree completely with Anon 4:00 xDDD

    and thanks for the update Jules! I am single, forever alone, but I had a good Valentine's Day nonetheless. Of course none of the good had to do with actual Valentines, but that's not important. xD

    Hope everyone had / is having a good day, single or not~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote the worst midterm I've ever written in my entire life this morning... So, didn't have much time to be bothered by all the Valentine's Day-ness. I personally don't mind being single, but I am actually going to a "Single Ladies" party in a bit. And there will be cupcakes haha. And coffee. And much bitching about this so called holiday.

    The excerpts were fantastic! Thanks to the annonymous who complied them all! I can't wait for this chapter. I think all five parts are going to be amazing!

    - Kat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lily agreed, and something in her tone changed. “No, he had every right to move on, too.”

    Oooh. I think Lily is seeing some parallels here too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent excerpts!!! Loved them :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is totally and completely random,

    but isn't it weird to think that teddy and harry's parents were best friends, but the two are from different generations.

    it's a bit odd to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well it seems everybody had a shitty day and I make no exception. I am so happy these excerpt came out today, at least this day will not be completely wasted.

    I'm glad you had a good Valentine day Jules, I think I will not look forward to this day for the next few years though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. His girlfriend

    His girlfriend

    His girlfriend

    Goddammit, I was eating. There goes my appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @bree i felt the same way when i read that. cringe worthy that.

    i definitely need some james/lily to feel anywhere near normal.

    @ jules thank god you ship james/lily or you could convert who knows how many people to who knows what odd pairing! that's how good your writing is! you are an evil genius. i like it. =p

    ReplyDelete
  23. these excerpts made. my. day.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are we back to reality? BRB, fetching my totem.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know what you're talking about Bree. I am unaware of why you would make an "Inception" reference. Any thread that you think might have carried some Inception reference clearly does not exist and never did. Perhaps twas a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the excerpts. And who can not love cupcakes! It is law to love cupcakes! :)
    Parts IV and V are my favourite except parts and I'm agreeing with what's being said about Lily's reaction to J/C. It makes sense. She has feelings, but niether of them are ready for a relationship with the other yet.
    They've made me want more though...... update soon?

    ReplyDelete
  27. i don't like cupcakes. just saying.
    (except for extremely chocolatly ones. but anything with chocolate is an exception. so it still counts.)
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  28. His girlfriend? I could cry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I almost broke the glass I was drinking from when I read "His girlfriend merely sighed".

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jules why are you making me suffer so much? How long till the update?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's taking literally all my willpower to resist reading the excerpts. Must... resist...

    ReplyDelete
  32. thats so adoreible did u make it because i want to make that so badly there so cute awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete